Save the FHF Centers
Louisiana’s budget shortfall for Fiscal Year 2017 (FY17) is now estimated at $600 Million — 20 percent lower than previously thought. The House Appropriations Committee has yet to pass the State Budget for FY17 and will have the opportunity to decide where to restore this additional $150 Million before moving it on to the Full House.
The current version of the proposed FY17 State Budget still includes:
– Cuts to the Human Services Districts/Authorities (in addition to the cuts they received this fiscal year) impacting Individual and Family Support, Flexible Family Fund, and other vital services to people with developmental disabilities and those with behavioral health needs.
– A 34% cut to the Families Helping Families Centers (this funding is in the DD Council’s budget). $170,000 is needed to restore the cuts.
– A 20% cut to Louisiana Rehabilitation Services (LRS).
– No funds to cover the cost of overtime for Direct Support Workers.
– No funds to fill vacant Children’s Choice and Supports Waiver slots.
Contact the Chairman and Committee members in your region by Monday, May 9th and let them know that funding DD services should be a top priority when deciding where to restore this $150 Million. Read the latest LaCAN Action Alert for more information.